Google Sugar Dot Cookies: Mirror Image Sugar Cookie Designs - Tuesday Tip

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mirror Image Sugar Cookie Designs - Tuesday Tip

Welcome to Tuesday's Tips - where I share just a little tidbit with you that I hope you'll find useful.

Have you ever made sugar cookies and wished that you could achieve mirror images?

I have.  Many times.  Like with these chicks.  Why do they all have to face the same direction?


And the pink and orange bunnies below. They're headed in the same direction as the chicks.

Where's everyone going?  What's over there?


I like things symmetrical.  Always have.  Whatever's happening on the left, the opposite should be happening on the right.  Right?  Kinda like this . . .



Aaaahhhhh.  That's more like it. Symmetry.  Reverse image cookies.  I feel better.

Asymmetry just doesn't sit right with me.

To get mirror image cookies. . .

You want to just flip the cutter over, but most have that seam for strength on one edge.

You could decorate the bottoms of the baked cookies, but they're not as smooth as the tops and the edges square off differently.

So how do you create mirror images?

Cut out your shapes as usual with the sharp edge of the cutter.  Then . . . . . flip half of the dough shapes over and put them on the baking sheet and into the oven.

Doh!  Seriously, why didn't I figure that out sooner?

Am I the last one to know?

Happy Tuesday!


6 comments:

  1. Love the ducks. Last night I taught a cookie decorating class. At one point I held up a cookie and said "if I turn it this way its a balloon, if I turn it this way its a christmas ornament, what else can it be?" One student made it a duck head. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great exercise to do with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I have done the flip the cookie!! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I should have thought of it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I feel so silly because this didn't even cross my mind! Thanks for the tip. I've been searching for more cookie blogs to follow and New things to learn. I love your blog and I'm so happy to have found it. If you get a moment....I just started a blog www.flourandglue.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...